Thomson M. E. Church on Wheeling Island
-from "Cyclopaedia of Methodism: Embracing Sketches of Its Rise, Progress, and Present Condition, with Biographical Notices and Numerous Illustrations," Simpson, Matthew, 1878
"Thomson church, formerly the Island Mission, is located on Zane's (Wheeling) Island, in the seventh ward, and was originally organized for a mission Sunday-school. In 1855, Daniel Zane tendered the lot, and helping in building a frame house 36 by 48 feet. This was replaced, in 1872, by a handsome brick edifice, named after Bishop Thomson, who had died in Wheeling a short time previous."
The cornerstone of a new church structure, designed by Fulton and Butler Architects of Uniontown, Pennsylvania, was laid in September of 1913 with the new building dedicated by a week of services beginning May 9th and ending May 16th, 1915.
The 1915 church has been the home of the New Life United Methodist Church since 2008.
▶ 115 S. Broadway, Wheeling Island
▶ Thomson United Methodist Church, from the Church bulletin for Heritage Sunday, April 29, 1984
▶ Vertical File: Wheeling Methodist Churches (Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk).
▶ Church records, Wheeling, West Virginia, 1818-1954, (Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk. Call#: Wheeling 929.3754 C473).