Sign Up For News And Updates

First Name:
Last Name:
E-mail Address:
Sign up for the following:






Address:
City:
State:
ZIP:
Mobile Phone:

Second Presbyterian Church


Places of Wheeling Icon
➤  WHEELING HISTORY  ➤  PLACES  ➤  CHURCHES

Second Presbyterian Church Quick Links

    ➤ History  |   ➤ Location   |   ➤ Images   |   ➤ Newspaper Articles   |   ➤ Additional Resources    


Second Presbyterian Church in Wheeling

The congregation of Second Presbyterian purchased a "handsome residence" on the corner of 20th and Market Streets in 1848 and occupied the building for two years. In 1850, the residence was, for a cost of $12,000, replaced with a formal church structure.

In 1873, extensive remodeling was completed and stained glass and belfry were added to the structure. A pipe organ, purchased for $2,500, was operated by water power furnished by the pressure in the city water pipes. 

The Second Presbyterian Church Building was sold by the congregation in 1974. It was demolished in 2016 following a collapse of the roof and back wall (see newspaper articles below).


Location

➤ Formerly on the corner of 20th and Market Street (demolished after suffering a collapsed roof and back wall in 2016)


Images

Second Presbyterian Church


Notes

 ➤ Historic Church Comes Down, The Intelligencer, Wednesday, March 9th, 2016   


Additional Resources

Library resources:
 ➤ Vertical file: Wheeling Presbyterian Churches, (non-checkout, Wheeling Room).

 


Churches  |  Places of Wheeling Home  |  Wheeling History Home  |  OCPL Home  

alt : OCPL Disclaimer

This document was last modified .
-Information on this page compiled by erothenbuehler

Services and Locations