Eoff Street Temple in Wheeling
The Jewish synagogue building on Eoff street was built in 1892. The congregation itself was founded in 1849 by German-speaking Jews and was called Leshem Shomayim (for the sake of Heaven). It was the was the first Jewish congregation in the state. The congregation moved to the current Temple Shalom building located in Woodsdale in 1958.
▶ Read about the opening of the Eoff Street Temple in 1892, Wheeling Daily Intelligencer article, March 29, 1892
More history coming soon.
▶ 1214 Eoff Street (No longer standing -- stood in the southern half of the parking lot of the current Boswell Monuments)
▶ Opening of the Eoff Street Temple in 1892, Wheeling Daily Intelligencer article, March 29, 1892
▶ Dedication of Eoff Street Temple, Wheeling Daily article, April 9, 1892
▶ Articles about Rabbi Abba Hillel Silver, 1915-1917
▶ Temple celebrates 85th Anniversary, Wheeling News-Register article, January 20, 1935
▶ Vertical File: Wheeling Jews, (Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk).
▶ "Jewish Communities on the Ohio River : a history," Shevitz, Amy Hill, 2007. Circulating, Non-fiction stacks, Call#: 977.004 Shev 2007