First Baptist Church in Wheeling
Originally the second St. Matthew's Episcopal Church building, this structure, built in 1837, became the First Baptist in May of 1866 when the St. Matthew's congregation moved into their third church building on Chapline Street. Built in the Greek Revival style that typified antebellum Wheeling, though a full Doric entablature with triglyphs and metopes still remains, a domed cupola has been removed and the front portico columns that were once fluted have been covered with a roughcast stucco.
The First Baptist congregation remained in the Greek Revival church building on Byron Street until 1958 when it became the House of Prayer. Later, it housed the congregation of the Church of God's Saints of Christ, and most recently, it was purchased by the Wheeling National Heritage Area Corporation (WNHAC) to be used as a community center and performance venue under the name of "The Blue Church."
First Baptist Church is now located at 1470 National Road in Wheeling.
▶ 1206 Byron Street (Now known as "The Blue Church")
▶ No notes at this time
▶ No additional resources at time