Hawley Block in Wheeling
Replacing the by-then dilapidated Grant House Hotel (view stereoview of Grant House on NYPL website) on the southeast corner of 10th and Main Streets, Hawley Block was built in 1892 by merchandise broker, James L. Hawley. E. B. Potts, seller of "notions and general merchandise" was the first tenant of the building, opening for business in that location in April of 1892.
The building was "modernized in 1938 by the estate of James L. Hawley. The remodel was planned by Wheeling architect Fred Faris (1901-1964), nephew of noted Wheeling architect, Frederick F. Faris (1870-1927). The modernization included the reconstruction of the first floor for storerooms to front both Main and 10th Streets, the conversion of second-floor into office space, exterior walls of Indiana limestone, trimmed with aluminum and glass carrara glass with the installation of large plate glass display windows. The Wheeling Intelligencer reported that "...the improvement will change the appearance of this building," but that, "originally constructed approximately a half a century ago, the foundation of the building is of solid hand-cut sandstone and would carry a skyscraper and as a result has been left intact."
Other tenants of Hawley Block have included White Swan Laundry, Sterling Institute of Palmistry/School of Occultism, Toledo Scale Company, Pittsburgh Auto & Equipment, Linton Dry Cleaning Co., C.A. House Music, and most recently, the Children's Museum of the Ohio Valley.