Sign Up For News And Updates

First Name:
Last Name:
E-mail Address:
Sign up for the following:






Address:
City:
State:
ZIP:
Mobile Phone:

Hawley Building | Mull Center

Places of Wheeling Icon
 ➤  WHEELING HISTORY  ➤  PLACES  ➤  HISTORIC ARCHITECTURE

Hawley Building | Mull Center Quick Links

 ➤ History  |  ➤ Locations   |   ➤ Images   |   ➤ Additional Resources 


Hawley Building in Wheeling

Razing of the buildings on the northwest corner of Main and Bridge Street began April 5, 1912, to make way for the Hawley Building, an office building designed by Wheeling architect Charles W. Bates for businessman James L. Hawley. 

The Wheeling Intelligencer reported May 25th, 1912: 

What will make one of the finest buildings in this vicinity, will be the James L. Hawley building... Work has been started on the foundation. It is designed for a ten story structure, but at present only seven stories will be built, but will be so arranged that the others may be added later.

A building permit for a $60,000 addition to complete the ten stories was issued in September 1913. The Princess Theater, showing motion pictures, opened in the building on April 6, 1914 and the Elliot Commercial School hosted its first classes in the Hawley Building two days later, Wednesday, April 8, 1914. 


 Location

 ➤ 1025 Main Street (Now called the Mull Center)


Images

Hawley Building | Mull Center


Additional Resources

Materials in the Library:
➤ Archives Vertical File: Hawley Building
Archives and special collections vertical files are non-circulating. Please call 304-232-0244 to make an appointment to view this collection.


Historic Architecture  |  Places of Wheeling Home  |  Wheeling History Home  |  OCPL Home  

alt : OCPL Disclaimer

This document was last modified .
-Information on this page compiled by erothenbuehler

Services and Locations