Machine Shops & Foundries in Wheeling, 1886
- from The Wheeling Daily Intelligencer, September 14, 1886
FOUNDERS AND MACHINISTS
An Extensive Business Here in Making Machinery
Besides the general iron workers mentioned elsewhere a considerable industry is represented in the Centre Foundry Company, whose extensive establishment is located on the west side of Main street just below the creek. This company is engaged extensively and prosperously in a general foundry business, making heavy castings for mills and machinery and the like. It has fitted several large nail factories complete with the machinery and makes a specialty of heavy castings for iron manufacturers. Mr. A.T. Cecil is the President; M. Nelson Cecil Secretary and John Young Manager.
Redman & Co.'s Excelsior Machine Works, on the corner of Chapline and Eighteenth streets, is another prosperous and busy concern of extensive capacity. The firm is composed of W.H. Redman, W.J. Hamilton and George McKown, and their large works are in a substantial brick building, erected recently expressly to accommodate their business, which had outgrown their old quarters. They make a specialty of building nail-cutting machinery and other iron factory mechanism.
Cox & Morrison's boiler works, at the corner of Market and Eighteenth streets, ae kept running to their full capacity in the manufacture of boilers for all kinds and sizes of engines, smoke stacks, iron tanks, vats and stills and all sorts of iron work of the same general character. The firm is composed of William M. Cox and Alex. Morrison.
Besides these firms there are a number of machine shops for repair work.
Iron & Steel Home | Wheeling Businesses | Places of Wheeling Home | Wheeling History Home | OCPL Home