Joseph Speidel Grocery Company
Joseph Speidel came to Wheeling with his parents in 1850, and in 1855 his business career began as a clerk in his father's retail store. He began wholesaling in 1863, the firm being Speidel & Inderrieden.
-from "Men of West Virginia, Volume 1," Biographical publishing Company, 1903.
He established this great business concern January 1, 1863, and it was incorporated January 1, 1892, with the following officers: Joseph Speidel, president; Archie T. Hupp, vice-president; Allen Brock, secretary and treasurer; and Hal Speidel, assistant secretary. The main office of the company is at Wheeling, but it conducts a branch house at Grafton, West Virginia. The building occupied by the plant was erected on Main street, near 14th street, in the wholesale district of the city, in 1884, and is five stories high, with a floor space of 60,000 square feet. The front part of the lower floor is utilized for office purposes, and the rooms are well appointed for the handling of an immense business. The branch house of the company, located at Grafton, contains a floor space of 40,000 square feet, making a total of 100,000 square feet of floor space in its two establishments. It employs about 100 people, and the country covered by the traveling representatives includes Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maryland.
▶ 1413 & 1415 (Nos. 44 & 46) Main Street (building demolished in 1976 -- now the site of the Intermodal Transportation Center)
▶ No additional library resources at this time.