Donaldson, Lewis and Co.
-from "History of the Upper Ohio Valley, with Family History and Biographical Sketches: History of the upper Ohio valley, by G. L. Cranmer," 1890
"W. R. Donaldson, a prominent citizen of Wheeling, is the head of the well-known house of Donaldson, Lewis & Co., manufacturers of fine carriages and trucks. The establishment is located in a building 125x200, of three stories, and a large number of employees are kept constantly engaged. The trade of the house extends to all parts of the country, and it is a matter of interest that the first buggy ever shipped to Persia was forwarded by this house to Dr. Alexander, a missionary physician. Mr. Donaldson was born in Lawrence county, Penn., September 22, 1837, and spent his early years in that county where he received a common school education. When eighteen years of age he began to learn the trade of carriage making, and completed the same at Little Washington, Penn. At this place he was married in 1860, to M. Ellen Wiley, and soon thereafter he removed with his family to southern Ohio, making his home at Georgetown, Brown county. He left that place at the outbreak of the war, and about six months later settled at Salem, Ohio, which he left subsequently and returned to Little Washington, where he had charge of a carriage factory during the latter part of the war. His residence at Wheeling began in the fall of 1865, when he engaged with the firm of Frobe & Bodely. In the following spring he took a position with Busby & Little. The latter firm was dissolved in the following autumn and the Wheeling Wagon & Carriage company was incorporated, of which Mr. Donaldson was a member until 1875, when that company was replaced by the firm now in existence, which was then composed of Mr. Donaldson, W. Lewis, W. H. Little and C. Ahl, under the title of Donalson, Lewis & Co. In November, 1880, the interest of Mr. Little was purchased by the other partners, who have since conducted the business, Mr. Donaldson having the management (see advertisement below).
â–¶ 1500 to 1506 Market Street
- advertisement from Callin's Wheeling City Directory, 1886