Lotz & Elig | Charles J. Elig Carriage Company in Wheeling
- From "History of Wheeling and Ohio County, West Virginia and Representative Citizens," Cranmer, Hon. Gibson Lamb, 1902, pg 349-350.
"The Charles J. Elig Carriage Company was established in 1860, by John Pfarr, who at that time furnished the Southern market with carriages and plantation wagons. Mr. Pfarr continued in the business until 1870, when Hock & Shrader became the proprietors, continuing in the business until 1880. Then the firm became known as John Pfarr & Company, and in 1885 Lotz & Elig acted as manager."
According to the trade publication, "The Hub," (Vol. XXXV, No. 11, February 1891, pg. 938) the certificate of incorporation of the Charles J. Elig Company was recorded Dec. 25, 1890, with incorporators Charles J. Elig, Frederick Molter, Thos. J. Ball, James P. Morgan, and Frederick Elig with Alfred Caldwell appointed attorney.
The firm built a six-story building at 937 and 939 Market Street in 1896 and by the turn of the 20th century employed 25 people. A 1906 advertisement states: "Manufacturers and distributors of strictly high-grade vehicles and harness for business or pleasure. We carry in stock at all times a splendid line of Coach Top Delivery Wagons for all uses, in a variety of colors and weights; on platform, half platform, or three-spring gear; and execute promptly all kinds of repair work, and special size wagons of every description to your specifications."
The company is last listed in the Wheeling City Directories in 1917 with long-time employee and former manager Newton Waltz as the proprietor.
â–¶ 937 and 939 Market Street (demolished, now part of the 10th St. Parking Garage lot)
â–¶ No additional resources at this time