Biography: Harry C. Franzheim
- SOURCE: National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form, Franzheim, Harry C. and Jessie F. House, 1989
Harry C. Franzheim (1864-1915) and his six brothers were the first generation of German immigrant parents who settled in Wheeling in 1840. The family made, and is still making, a contribution to this city. Harry C. Franzheim was "long a prominent figure in the commercial, industrial and financial life of the city". He was a partner in the G. Mendel and Company at 1124 Main Street. An advertisement in the 1896 Wheeling City Directory lists it as purveyors of "furniture, carpets, window shades, etc. (high-class goods a specialty), also funeral directors." In 1906, the funeral service business warranted the other partners, including G. Edward Mendel, separating away and the furniture company became the H. C. Franzheim Company. There is fine china in the possession of the family today marked with "H. C. Franzheim Co." Mr. Franzheim "was a citizen who had a keen sense of his civic responsibilities and endeavored at all times to measure up to them. He believed in Wheeling and its destiny and gave freely of his time and means for its advancement." Harry C. Franzheim was a founder, president and ex officio director of the Wheeling Board of Trade, as well as a director of the National Bank of West Virginia, Security Trust Company, La Belle Iron Works and the Fort Henry Club. Upon his death, flags were flown at half-mast on several public buildings in the city. Fittingly, the funeral service for Henry Franzheim was held at the family residence on S. Front Street.