Henry Schmulbach Biographical Sketch, 1902
-from "HISTORY OF WHEELING and Ohio County, West Virginia and Representative Citizens." Edited & Compiled by Hon. Gibson Lamb Cranmer, 1902; p. 426-27.
Henry Schmulbach, a well-known citizen of Wheeling, is president of the Schmulbach Brewing company, which conducts one of the largest brewing establishments in West Virginia, situated at the head of Thirty-third street, Wheeling. Mr. Schmulbach was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, in 1844. He came to the United States in 1852, with his parents, who settled at Wheeling. Before reaching the age of seventeen years he en aged in the retail grocery business in partnership with his uncle, George Feller, and four years later, in 1865, embarked in the wholesale liquor business. His uncle retired from business in January, 1870, but Mr. Schmulbach continued it until 1882. In 1881 he became owner of a majority of the stock of the Nail City Brewing company, and January 1, 1882, he took possession of the property, and formed the Schmulbach Brewing company, which was incorporated with a capital stock of $80,000. Mr. Schmulbach became president and H. C. Caldwell secretary. The capacity of the old company was from 6,000 to 8,000 barrels per year, but under the new organization the works were immediately improved and enlarged, new buildings were added, improved machinery was put in, and the capacity was gradually increased until it reached the ample proportions of 50,000 barrels annually, and in the spring of 1890, still greater improvements and enlargements increased the capacity to 200,000 barrels per annum. The product finds a ready sale throughout West Virginia, and in Ohio, Maryland and Pennsylvania. Mr. Schmulbach has also been active in many enterprises. For twenty years he has been connected with the steamboat interests of Wheeling, owning at one time as many as six steamboats. He has been a stockholder and director of the Wheeling Iron and Nail company, the Junction Iron and Nail company, and the Aetna Iron and Nail company. At the present time he is a stockholder and director in the Hobbs Glass works; director and treasurer of the Washington Hall association; director of the German bank, and otherwise identified with various important industries of Wheeling. Mr. Schmulbach has rendered the city honorable service as a member of the board of public works, on which he is now serving his second term, being president of the board, and also as a member of the board of education. He is a member of the German Lutheran church and is prominent as a Mason, of which fraternity he was made a member in 1867. He is a member of Bates lodge, No. 33, of Wheeling, of Union chapter, No. 1, and of Wheeling commandery, No. 1, K. T.