Food Industries in Wheeling, 1886
— from THE WHEELING DAILY INTELLIGENCER, " Special Natural Gas Edition", September 14, 1886.
‚ě§ View Special Edition in its entirety.
Mince Meat, Preserves and Canned Goods
In putting up preserves, mince meat, jellies or any goods requiring glass or earthenware packages, Wheeling offers rare facilities owing to the convenience of manufactories of such vessels. George K. McMechen & Son have in the rear of 1501 Market street a factory fitted with all the modern conveniences, where they manufacture mince meat, jellies, fruit butters, pickles and salads, and the "Old Virginia" brand of preserves. Their goods are of the finer grade, and their trade extends from the Atlantic to the Mississippi. Flaccus Brothers at their extensive factory east of the city manufacture mince meat and put up canned goods, especially tomatoes, on a large scale. Wheeling has unrivaled facilities for this trade.
[ . . . ]
The Wheeling Dairy Company has occupied the large building on Chapline and Seventeenth streets for over a year past, and has done an extensive business in making artificial butter. The materials used are cream and milk and the oil pressed from beef tallow. The churning done by machinery, resembles ordinary butter making, and the operators invite a free inspection of their establishment, materials and processes. They are now winding up their affairs, the recently enacted United States law taxing and restricting the manufacture of artificial butter compelling them to go out of the business.