Mt. Belleview Hotel was a summer residence for wealthy Wheeling citizens. In 1891, the the 40-room hotel was purchased by Wheeling brewer Anton Reymann in 1891 and converted into the “Home for Aged and Friendless Women,” largely populated by immigrant women who had come to work in the United States as domestic servants, working in the homes of the wealthy, and had nowhere to live in their later years. It later became known as "Altenheim." Altenheim later moved to 1387 National Road and continues to operate as a home for elderly women.
The building was located at the corner of National Road and Altenheim Avenue, on the site of the present-day Kepner Funeral Home.
▶ Corner of National Road and Altenheim Avenue (demolished)
▶ No notes at this time
▶ Vertical File:Wheeling Altenheim, Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk.
OCPL appreciates the generosity and thoughtfulness of its many patrons in donating books, historical materials, and other library materials to the Library. Because of the overwhelming number of items donated, the limited amount of staff time to handle these donations, and limited space to house the donated materials, OCPL must restrict the donations accepted. We welcome donations of books, historical materials, and other materials of value. Please read more about our Donation Policies: