Sterling Products Co. Building in Wheeling
-From the trade publication, "Universal Bulletin," Universal Portland Cement Co., No. 120, May 1914, pg. 97
[...] A modern office and manufacturing building... has been erected at Wheeling, West Virginia, for the Neuralgyline Co. It is of five stories and a basement, 110 feet wide by 120 feet long, and of reinforced concrete for frame and floors. The front two return ends are trimmed in white with buff panels, presenting a clean and pleasing appearance.
The building was started in August, 1913, and completed in March, 1914. Much of the 6,500 barrels of Universal Portland cement was used in the winter months, clearly demonstrating the practicability of concreting in cold weather.[...]
For the Neuralgyline building, R. R. Kitchen & Co., was the general contractor and C. W. Bates, the architect, both of Wheeling, West Virginia.
In 1901, William Erhard Weiss and Albert H. Diebold established the Neuralgyline Company in Wheeling. In 1907, the Neuralgyline Company purchased the Sterling Remedy Company and changed the company name to Sterling Product Co.
At the end of World War I the Sterling product line consisted of Neuralgyline, Danderine, Casarets, and California Syrup of Figs. At the end of the war, German-owned Bayer had been seized by the U.S. government along with other properties. Sterling offered $5.3 million to acquire Bayer's holdings in the U.S. and became the owner of the Bayer aspirin patent.
More commonly known as the Sterling Products Co. or Sterling Drug Building, the original home office for the company was demolished between 2011 and 2012.
➤ Corner 19th street and Lane F, between Jacob and Wood St.
Additional Library Resources
➤ The Aspirin Wars: Money, Medicine, and 100 Years of Rampant Competition, Charles C. Mann and Mark L. Plummer, 1991. Non-fiction Stacks, circulating (Additional copy in Wheeling Room). Call #: 381.456153137 M315a
➤ Archives & Special Collections: "Photographs Illustrating Works of Charles W. Bates and William H. Cook, Architects and Engineers," date unknown. Wheeling Heritage Collection. Non-circulating. Make appointment to view.