Sign Up For News And Updates

Your Name and E-mail
First Name:
Last Name:
E-mail Address:
Sign up for the following:

Your Address and Mobile
Mobile Phone:

Stone & Thomas Department Store

Places of Wheeling Icon

▼ Stone & Thomas Quick Links

 ▼ History  |  ▼ Locations   |   ▼ Images   |   ▼ Library Resources 

Stone & Thomas Department Store 

Originally called The Bee Hive, the first Stone & Thomas Department Store opened in 1847 on Market Street in Wheeling. It was owned by Jacob C. Thomas and Elijah J. Stone, who later married Thomas’s sister. Renamed Stone & Thomas, the store and the company prospered for well over a century. Owned and operated by the same family for five generations, Stone & Thomas grew to become West Virginia’s largest independent retailer and one of the top 75 independent retail store chains in the country.

After World War II, major expansion began under Wilbur Stone Jones, great-grandson of the founder, by acquiring stores and building new stores. In the next generation, Stone & Thomas became one of the largest family-owned department store chains in the country, under the joint leadership of Wilbur Stone Jones, Jr., and Edward C. Armbrecht, Jr., his brother-in-law.

By the early 20th century, Stone & Thomas had expanded its flagship store in Wheeling to 182,000 square feet with the Market Street Annex opening in April of 1915. The chain entered the Charleston market in 1941, and in 1948 opened a fine new store in the heart of downtown. At its peak, Stone & Thomas had 21 stores in West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky, and Virginia, with more than 2,000 employees. It met the needs of generations of shoppers with broad assortments in apparel and home furnishings.

Stone & Thomas closed its landmark Charleston store as the city’s shopping habits changed. In 1998 Stone & Thomas was sold to the Elder-Beerman Company of Dayton, Ohio. Elder-Beerman renamed the stores, and the familiar Stone & Thomas name disappeared from the region’s commercial landscape.

-Palumbo, Louise Corey "Stone & Thomas." e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia. 26 March 2014. Web. 01 July 2016.


 ▶ 1891-present (now Williams Lea Wheeling Headquarters): 1020-1032 Main Street


Stone & Thomas

Additional Resources

Online Newspaper Articles: OCPL Newspaper archive (

▶ Stone & Thomas Annex Open For Inspection This Weekend, Wheeling Intelligencer, Monday, April 19th, 1915, p. 14
Stone & Thomas Still Growing, Wheeling Intelligencer, Friday, July 23rd, 1982, p. 9
Stone & Thomas Remained True to Downtown Wheeling, Wheeling Intelligencer, Saturday, June 20th, 1998, p.9
View a gallery of Wheeling Santas, including the Stone's Santa

Materials in the Wheeling Room: (non-circulating - ask for access at reference desk) 

Materials in the Library's Archives: (non-circulating, view by appointment only*) 
*Call 304-232-0244 or send an email to make an appointment to view archival materials.

▶ Archival Collection: Stone & Thomas Advertising scrapbooks. View Finding Aid
▶ Archival Collection: Stone & Thomas Tea Room collection. View Finding Aid
Archives Collection: Wheeling National Heritage Area Corporation (WNHAC) Records, Boxes 5 and 14.

Retail  |  Wheeling Businesses  |  Places of Wheeling Home  |  Wheeling History Home  |  OCPL Home  

alt : OCPL Disclaimer

-Information on this page compiled by erothenbuehler
Services and Locations