Central Union Trust Co. in Wheeling
Originally called the Quarter Savings Bank, following a significant increase in capital and a move into a new and larger building at the corner of 14th and Market, the financial institution changed its name to the Central Union Trust Co. Located in what is still today called the Central Union Building, the bank opened its doors with the newly branded name July 22, 1926. The 10-story building, designed by Wheeling architect Charles W. Bates, was built on the site of the former House & Herrmann department store.
According to the State of West Virginia Reports of Financial Institutions, the bank failed at the height of the Great Depression, September 8, 1931. On January 23, 1936, West Virginia Banking Commissioner George Ward ordered the bank in receivership under the direction of O. H. Gall as the receiver of the Central Union Trust Company.
From 1937, following the failure of the bank, to 1985, the Central Union Co. appears in the Wheeling City directories as the management company for the Central Union Building. Today the building is part of the Bank Plaza complex of WesBanco.
â–¶ SW Corner of 14th and Market Streets