Obituary: Edward Wagner, Grocer
- from the newspaper "Spirit of Democracy," Woodsfield, Ohio, January 30, 1929
Edward Wagner (1856-1929)
Edward Wagner, one of Wheeling’s most prominent residents and successful business men died early Thursday morning at his home, 54 Fifteenth Street.
Mr. Wagner had survived an attack of influenza, contracted last December 28, and developing into bronical pneumonia, only to succumb to a break-down suffered only a few days ago. He died at 12:15 o’clock. He was in his seventy-third year.
At one time Mr. Wagner operated in Wheeling the largest wholesale grocery business controlled by an individual in the United States. That business was discontinued recently, however, and at the time of his death he was president of the Edward Wagner Fireproof Storage Company.
He had lived in Wheeling for more than 50 years coming there from Clarington, Monroe County, Ohio, where he was born September 15, 1856.
Keen business ability and a most modern method of conducting his steadily expanding trade accounted in great measure for his unusual success. The large new building at the corner of Main and Twentieth streets stands as a monument to his business acumen.
In April 1928, the wholesale grocery firm was discontinued and Mr. Wagner organized the Edward Wagner Fireproof Storage Company.
He was united in marriage October 15, 1878 with Miss Louisa Martin of Cameron, Ohio. She died July 1, 1923 and in 1925 he married Lucetta Marsh Lantz of Atlantic City, New Jersey.
Mr. Wagner had been a staunch member of St. John’s Evangelical Protestant Church for the past 50 years. He had resided at the Fifteenth street home for the past 35 years.
Surviving in addition to his wife are two son, Edward F. and Ralph A. Wagner, both of Wheeling and four daughters; Mrs. Edward A. Mauery of Clarington, Ohio; Miss Rena M. Wagner at home and Mrs. Paul E. Robertson and Mrs. Frank E. Poindexter of Wheeling. Remaining also are six grandchildren; three brothers, Charles F. and William J. Schaffer, of Gainsville, Fla., and Everett F. Schaffer of Paden City, W.Va., and five sisters; Mrs. Jacob J. Rothlesberger and Mrs. Edward A. Oneacre, both of New Martinsville; Mrs. William Walters and Mrs. Fred Jenny of Clarington and Mrs. L.D. Mayhall of Cleveland.
Funeral services were held at 2:30 o’clock Saturday afternoon at his late residence, 54 Fifteenth street. Rev. William J. Hausmann. Pastor of St. John’s Evangelical Protestant Church, officiated and the body was laid to rest in Greenwood Cemetery.